Do you have those moments of wanting something so bad- well I had one this weekend. I was eyeing this gorgeous chocolate cookie recipe on Oh She Glows (an awesome vegan blog, might I add) all of Friday (yes, yes even while I was at work). Sunday afternoon after a short one hour nap, I woke up, went to the kitchen and made these damn yummy cookies.
- 1 tablespoon ground flax mixed with 3 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup virgin coconut oil (do not melt)
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 1/3 cup unpacked brown sugar
- 1/3 cup natural cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup gluten-free rolled oats, processed into flour
3/4 cup GF all purpose flour
- 100 grams finely chopped dark chocolate (1 chocolate bar)
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large mixing bowl, mix together the flax and water and set aside for a few minutes so it can thicken up. Whisk the flax egg again once thickened.
- Add the rest of the wet ingredients into the bowl with the flax egg (coconut oil, sunflower seed butter, brown sugar, cane sugar, and vanilla). In a stand mixer beat the ingredients until combined and smooth.
- Now, beat in the dry ingredients, one by one, as you go down the ingredient list (baking soda, baking powder, salt, cocoa powder, oat flour). If your dough is a bit dry, add a teaspoon (or two) of non-dairy milk and beat the mixture again (I did not have to). The dough should be moist enough to form balls without cracking, but not super sticky.
- Finely chop the chocolate (it should be the size of peas). Beat the chocolate into the batter or simply stir by hand.
- Shape balls of dough (about the size of a golf ball or 2 heaping tablespoons) and place on the baking sheet 2-3 inches apart. Gently press down on each ball with your hand to form a disc (it should be 1/2-inch thick or so).
- Bake for about 12-13 minutes (I baked for 13 mins, mine took longer about 15 minutes) until the cookies are spread out nicely.
- Cool cookies on the baking sheet for 7 minutes or so and then transfer to a cooling rack for another 10-15 minutes.